Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Opening Salvo

Welcome to Futures Past and Present.  This blog will be similar to my other blog, Adventures Fantastic, only instead I'll be focusing on science fiction here. 

There will be some differences, though.  For one, as far as fantasy is concerned, Adventures Fantastic tends to stick to relatively new fantasy (or at least recent), with the exception of certain classic authors, such as Robert E. Howard.  The historical adventure and occasional historical fact post there are a little more broad ranging.  I'm going to take a more historical approach here in that I'll strive to have a fairly even mix of old and new science fiction.  There are a number of authors who have been forgotten that I'll try to bring to your attention.  If you've ever read one of Bud Webster's Pat Masters columns, you know what I'm talking about.  Where Bud tends to focus on the authors and their oeuvre as a whole, I'll look more specifically at individual works. 

Of course I'll review as many new science fiction books, stories, and magazines as I can.  That should be about a third of what's covered here.

And the final third will be me blogging about whatever I have on my shelves that I either finally get around to reading or read again. 

In other words, this is going to be a wide ranging blog focusing on as many aspects of science fiction we can reasonably cover.  I'm going to do more experimenting with the format and layout than I do with Adventures Fantastic, so don't be too surprised if things change on a regular basis.

2 comments:

  1. Normally I'm always the one who's late to the party, but this time it looks like, while I AM late, I'm the first one to at least nod to the host as I wade into the buffet.

    C'mon, people! It ain't all fantasy and Pokemon out on the net! Science Fiction is the reason we have this wonderful toy you kids call "teh interwebs."

    So get to readin' it, then get to writin' about it (hopefully in the comments section of one of the posts here.)

    Tex
    (who enjoys your other site as well)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Tex.

    Thanks for the shoutout. I appreciate the support (for both sites) and am glad you're with me.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete